April 7, 2017

Saying Goodbye to SUU


Well, it's official! This girl is all done with student teaching + is totally ready for graduation on Friday. My last day of student teaching was April 7th, and it was definitely a bittersweet moment! I have loved both of my placements and feel that I grew so much into my own style of teaching. It's been so fun to see "my kids" around town and get big hugs from them. Those are the things I will be craving over the summer!

 It's crazy to think that my time at SUU is done, because I swear it just started. I mean, this was basically yesterday right?! With graduation just three days away, I've been thinking about all the change I've been through during my four years here going to school. I remember being so excited to graduate high school and get started on my next adventure. Throughout the next few years, I would experience so many things that helped me stretch, grow, and become more myself.

I had some really good roommates, some really bad roommates, and some that are still my best friends. I've survived an overflowing kitchen sink, crazy roommate boyfriend drama, stupid girl fights, and homesickness. I've learned how to cook rice successfully (finally!), spent long nights in the library, and have spent even more time having Justin Bieber dance parties that were #money. I fell in love, fell out of love, and then fell in love with the right person. I became an aunt. I snuck into old buildings on campus, played countless pranks on people, and had week-long sleepovers in the kitchen. I helped someone really close to me get through depression, and got through a little bit of depression myself. I decided to go through the temple.  I ate too many birthday cake milkshakes (thanks em), went bowling a thousand times, and survived being chased by a hobo in the sheep tunnels. I gave four presentations and then realized I hadn't put a bra on that morning. I skipped class. I made friends in the Elem Ed program that I don't think I'll ever lose. I married my best friend. ... And I did it all while earning my bachelors degree & majoring in Elementary Education.

Over the years here at SUU, I've tried to have three rules:

#1 Comparing your college experiences to other people's is dumb. Don't do it. 
I feel like there is this pressure when you go to college that if you aren't constantly partying & having a great time you are a college failure. Let me tell you this: There might be nights where you go out with friends and that's awesome! However, there might be nights where you find yourself just in your pajamas watching Anne of Green Gables with your roommate, and you shouldn't feel bad about it. ITS TOTALLY OKAY.   Don't hate yourself because you look on Instagram and see that other college kids did something super fun and meanwhile you were home doing your homework and trying not to kill your roommates for not doing her dishes. #we'veallbeenthere.


#2 You can do anything (even if its out of your comfort zone) for thirty minutes. 
I had a roommate my freshman year who started this whole idea. She would lure us into crazy late night ideas or boring sounding activities by simply saying, "You only have to do it for thirty minutes". And then if we whined she would just yell "THIRTY MINUTES! THIRTY MINUTES!" until we finally agreed. While at first this was kinda annoying, it eventually became the rule of our house. Because of this simple rule, we went to concerts, campus events, opera performances, firesides, parties, etc that we wouldn't have ever gone to if left up to our own choice.

I've tried to keep this motto throughout the rest of college, and it's been so rewarding. I really have to be pushed to get out of my comfort zone, so it's the perfect motivator to get out and try something new! (Plus, if you go and its totally awful, thirty minutes is the perfect amount of time to spend there before it's time to make an excuse and scram).

#3 Overall, do whatever will make you the happiest.
If you only listen to one thing I have to say, this should be it. Go somewhere quiet, grab a pad of paper, and make a list of things that make you the happiest. Maybe it's a list of 50 things. Maybe it's only got 8 things written on it. Whatever you feel covers it. Then, DO THOSE THINGS. Easy right?!

Try to do at least one every day, or every week (whatever you have time for!) Maybe your happiness requires that you spend 30 minutes a day watching funny YouTube videos. Maybe trying new recipes make you happy, or having a game night with some friends.

As an almost graduated student, I look back and have very little regrets because I always tried to choose happiness over all else. To me, happiness meant spending most weekends at home with my family + hometown friends. It meant going to the track and getting some much needed exercise to clear my head. It meant the occasional binge-watching gossip girl and grey's anatomy. Happiness was being well organized, finding time for photography, and learning how to do brush lettering. Happiness was skipping class to go to the temple with my mom, or drives up the canyon blasting country music. Bottom line, you should be happy! Take time to do your favorite things, and do them without guilt or embarrassment. I promise it will make your life feel like YOUR life, and it will make all the difference.


So, I guess this is it! As good as the last four years have been, I feel ready to close the door on this part of my life, and start getting ready for my next adventures. But first, Summer Vacation!!
XOXO 
Love P 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.